Posts 1 - 25 of 26  

Forum » Seller's Forum [FS/FO/FT] » FO: Mega Man 5 prototype

FO: Mega Man 5 prototype

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 10:24:47 AM 
Sanna (22)

(S L)
< Meka Chicken >
Sweden
I have a Mega Man 5 prototype for sale. Tested and works fine. Like new condition.

Front:
http://i499.photobucket.com/album...

Back:

PCB:

-------------------------

Edited: 06/19/2010 at 11:33 AM by Sanna

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 10:25:49 AM 
MasonSushi (76)

(Mason 8-Bit_Nes)
< Ridley Wrangler >
South Carolina
show pics of the pcb please.
Come visit my youtube channel

MasonSushi YouTube Channel

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 10:29:46 AM 
MrMark0673 (338)

(Mark Nolan)
< Bowser >
Massachusetts
Price?
Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 10:55:08 AM 
Sanna (22)

(S L)
< Meka Chicken >
Sweden
Make an offer.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 11:03:58 AM 
MrMark0673 (338)

(Mark Nolan)
< Bowser >
Massachusetts
Oof, masked ROMs...

Not my style, but very cool piece regardless. Good luck with the sale!
Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 11:16:24 AM 
burdger (140)

(Ross Burdge)
< Bowser >
Ohio
If you do not have a set price, please put FO, for offer, in the thread title.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 11:29:47 AM 
MasonSushi (76)

(Mason 8-Bit_Nes)
< Ridley Wrangler >
South Carolina
I just opened my MM5 cart and the board looks exactly the same. Are there gameplay differences?? Not saying that it is not a proto, but it seems like somebody ruined a Meaga Man 5 label, and just printed that new one.
Come visit my youtube channel

MasonSushi YouTube Channel

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 11:37:09 AM 
DreamTR (130)

(Jason Wilson)
< King Solomon >
Tennessee
I have a Mega Man V proto with a label similar to that, but the inside is a full long proto board with EPROMS, though
www.gamegalaxyarcade.com

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 11:37:57 AM 
Sanna (22)

(S L)
< Meka Chicken >
Sweden
The first owner of this MM 5 cart was one of the owner of the company (Bergsala AB) that imported NES games to Sweden. My guess is that they received test carts before deciding to import the game or not. It's written final version on the label so probably there is no great differences or no differences in gameplay.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 11:57:57 AM 
qixmaster (105)

(Josh B)
< Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
appears to be much like the Wario's Wood cart that Dan bought off ebay. Totally legit, but likely the final build that would ultimately be the released game - i'd venture to say it is probably more of a test cart (like you say) than a prototype.
Wafflefoot

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 12:07:56 PM 
BeaglePuss (37)

(Matt Nolan)
< Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Sanna

The first owner of this MM 5 cart was one of the owner of the company (Bergsala AB) that imported NES games to Sweden. My guess is that they received test carts before deciding to import the game or not. It's written final version on the label so probably there is no great differences or no differences in gameplay.

I can verify that the original seller was selling this cart along with numerous other prototypes.  This cart is the real deal, but it falls into a sub-category of prototype collecting (in my opinion that is).  This game has production roms present, but was created before full-blown production began (as the label implies).  I would still consider it a prototype as a result, albeit a finished game with masked roms present.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 01:28:05 PM 
dangevin (214)

(Dan Langevin)
< Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: qixmaster

appears to be much like the Wario's Wood cart that Dan bought off ebay. Totally legit, but likely the final build that would ultimately be the released game - i'd venture to say it is probably more of a test cart (like you say) than a prototype.

Yep these are really cool additions to a collection, but aren't worth full proto prices. With provenance such as this one, though, definitely worth a multiplier compared to the standard release version.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 03:42:13 PM 
Dendy (24)

(Anton Dokuchaev)
< Meka Chicken >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: Sanna

Maybe is a DEMO not a PROTO, I don't know why an importer shoud get a proto in first place...

CNG - Dutch collectors and gaming forum - Classic Nintendo Gaming Forum (NES/Faicom/SNES/N64/GameBoy & GW)
www.nintendoforum.nl

Edited: 06/19/2010 at 04:04 PM by Dendy

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 06:51:44 PM 
jajaja (5)

(jajaja jajaja)
< El Ripper >
Other
Originally posted by: Dendy

Maybe is a DEMO not a PROTO, I don't know why an importer shoud get a proto in first place...

Importers did get prototypes (which several of time were the full game, but they are many times on EPROM chips instead of masked ROM chips). I am not sure why though, maybe in some cases a final version of a PAL and/or a NTSC version of a game werent made yet and only prototypes excisted? But i dont know for sure.

As for this Mega Man 5 proto, i am pretty sure that it is the full game and not a demo. I have this Mega Man 5 prototype myself and if i remember correctly, i dumped it and compared the ROM file to a non-proto ROM file of Mega Man 5 in a hex editor. If i remember correctly, there were maybe like 2-4 bytes in different between those 2 ROM files, so both ROM files were basically identical. I assume that all of these Mega Man 5 prototypes are identical, but i can be mistaken

Being the final game or not though, i think that this Mega Man 5 prototype is a cool thing to have, especially if someone collects Mega Man games

Edited: 06/19/2010 at 06:55 PM by jajaja

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 07:05:00 PM 
Dendy (24)

(Anton Dokuchaev)
< Meka Chicken >
Netherlands
My point is, how do you see that it is a proto if it is visually identical to the released version.
Besides the empty cart shell with a sticker, I mean, I have an empty cart shell and can make any sticker on it, put any game and call it a prototype? How do you value something like it?

CNG - Dutch collectors and gaming forum - Classic Nintendo Gaming Forum (NES/Faicom/SNES/N64/GameBoy & GW)
www.nintendoforum.nl

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 08:21:38 PM 
JD (159)

(John David Heins)
< Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
^You probably can't very easily, which is why it's for offer, why are you complaining man, he has a right to sell it, I don't think anyone thinks it's fake, it won't bring full proto money, but it is definitely worth more than your average MM5, to the right person this could definitely make them happy, to have something unique like this
WTB rare, out of print, or unusual homebrew or repros. Hit me up, will pay finders fee.
*Click Here* <--------

Nada Es Imposible

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 09:11:34 PM 
dangevin (214)

(Dan Langevin)
< Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Dendy

My point is, how do you see that it is a proto if it is visually identical to the released version.
Besides the empty cart shell with a sticker, I mean, I have an empty cart shell and can make any sticker on it, put any game and call it a prototype? How do you value something like it?

Like I said, for this item it's ALL in the provenance.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 09:28:28 PM 
jajaja (5)

(jajaja jajaja)
< El Ripper >
Other

Yep, in cases like this it rely on trust etc. indeed. You can probably make a fake one without any big problems. Maybe you could see some production dates on the chip that variates from a retail version of the game, but i am not 100% sure about that. I bought my copy from Castlevania4ever, and i think that he bought it from a swiss guy who sold many prototypes ony Ebay some years ago, so i dont doubt that my copy is real at least

Originally posted by: jdheins

^You probably can't very easily, which is why it's for offer, why are you complaining man, he has a right to sell it, I don't think anyone thinks it's fake, it won't bring full proto money, but it is definitely worth more than your average MM5, to the right person this could definitely make them happy, to have something unique like this

In the case with this Mega Man 5 prototype i think that it wouldnt be too hard to fake since the label is just white with some black text. I am not sure about how it would be with other prototypes though.

EDIT: I dont mean to say that Sanna's copy is fake just to underline that. I know that Sanna has been active in the NES community for many years and i think that i remember when she bought it

Edited: 06/19/2010 at 09:34 PM by jajaja

Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 05:23:36 AM 
Dendy (24)

(Anton Dokuchaev)
< Meka Chicken >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: jdheins

Sorry guy's I wasn't complaining nor wanted to say its not legit. Wasn't my intention to offend Sanna or make her stuff questionable. I'm new to that kind of stuff that's why all the questions... I was just wandering how you distinguish it form a released one. I'm sorry if I did offend anyone....

www.nintendoforum.nl

Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 08:28:59 AM 
jajaja (5)

(jajaja jajaja)
< El Ripper >
Other
No problem for my sake If you wonder about something, then it is just to ask indeed I might see if i can get around to open my Mega Man 5 prototype and a retail Mega Man 5 game sometime to see if i can spot any differences at all. I will post the reply on Nintendoage.com then =)

Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 09:48:42 PM 
Necrosaro420 (7)

(This isn't the real Caesar's Palace, is it? I mean, did Caesar live here?)
< Little Mac >
Zimbabwe
Its probably real. I have a Proto/Test cart of Bubble Bobble Rainbow Islands and it is mask rom as well
Owner/Operator of http://www.GameReproductions.com

Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 10:13:43 PM 
dr.robbie (124)

(Robbie Pacanowski)
< Bowser >
Missouri
very cool item there buddy. good luck with the sale.
Download my NES Guide here:

Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 10:14:49 PM 
BeaglePuss (37)

(Matt Nolan)
< Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Necrosaro420

Its probably real. I have a Proto/Test cart of Bubble Bobble Rainbow Islands and it is mask rom as well

The game FS is 100% "real," there's no question about that.  It was purchased from an individual with numerous connections, and they had a large amount to comparable prototypes that were FS along with this cart.  I think the question is more how to classify the game.  Prototype Vs. Test cart.

I also want to point out that although it is almost certainly a final copy (judging by the label of course), there have been times in the past when a prototype has been found to have differences even though masked roms were present.  It's rare, but it does happen.  A Cystalis prototype with differences comes to mind, but I know there are some beyond that.  It just shows that EPROMs Vs Masked roms are not the be-all end-all when it comes to identifying a prototype/test cart.

Monday, June 21, 2010 - 06:34:24 AM 
Sanna (22)

(S L)
< Meka Chicken >
Sweden
I've played a few stages but didn't notice any differences. At least it was the same robot masters. I don't think I would have noticed a minor difference.

Does anyone have a Mega Man 5 proto with a different rom (an EPROM)?

Monday, June 21, 2010 - 10:12:10 AM 
ADMINISTRATOR
videogamedomain (381)

(Ryan L)
< Master Higgins >
Michigan
It reminds me of the SNES Contra I have thats the same as the regular release with a plain white label.
CTCW: Auctions & Homepage:  Buy my Gamegavel Stuff
EBAY auctions: Buy my EBAY stuff
NA Sale Thread:  Buy my NA Stuff
Wanted to buy: Sell this Stuff to me

Posts 1 - 25 of 26  

©2014 Bucket Head Media, LLC.. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use