$5k start, auction format

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 05:50:15 PM 
Jig (4)
(Josh )
< Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Originally posted by: Tulpa

This whole to-do made Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_World_Championship#201...

Someone should update that wiki to add that it did not SELL. The highest bidder did not pay.

-------------------------

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 05:50:32 PM 
icarwngs55 (33)

(Michael D)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: icarwngs55

4. For above reason I considered tossing mine up, but in the end I love collecting and being young will be able to cherish this for a long while
When you are talking about silly-money, I think the chance of regretting not cashing in might outweigh the joy of sitll having it down the line, but to each his own.

Oh trust me it's a struggle! Though Mark didn't disclose exact amount paid, if it is CLOSE to that $17,500 number; that is why this is so hard.

I just worked so hard to find/get it!

I mean I (and plenty of others here) have had our I FOUND A LITTLE SAMSON FOR $1! moments, but kept and didn't cash in. Some did. But then I suppose you could argue the difference between a $500 profit and a $10,000 profit. All very difficult

I am a NES gamer and collector and will be for foreseeable future. I consider NWC the height of NES collecting and to give it up is tough.

Wish I wasn't attached to material things. Not sure how Mark and Matt let so much go... outside of the cash

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 05:55:55 PM 
arch_8ngel (54)

(Nathan ?)
< Pit >
Virginia

Not sure how Mark and Matt let so much go... outside of the cash

Pragmatism, I suspect.

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:06:24 PM 
MrMark0673 (360)

(Mark Nolan)
< Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: th0rpe

Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Can a mod remove my icon?

Oh, and I'd like to personally dedicate this post to Th0rpe.

Apparently my post was poorly worded and came out wrong, and I'd like to clear it up. I wasn't making a dig at you, I was genuinely offering advice that I thought might help your sale. Obviously it didn't matter. Congratulations on the sale, you nailed this one with the timing. Sorry again.

Nope, I was a dick. I totally misread that, and I appreciate you lending advice. Tone gets lost in text sometimes, sorry for my shitty response.
Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:09:40 PM 
th0rpe (33)

(JT )
< Ridley Wrangler >
Ohio
No hard feelings either way Mark. Now get back to counting all dem Benjamin's!

Selling:NES Box protectors
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:17:24 PM 
buyatari2 (29)

(adam harvey)
< Master Higgins >
United States

I have watched from afar as this epic absurdity took place. Couple things:
1. Poor Muresan; he should have been dealt a better hand
2. Glad Mark was able to cash in.congrats buddy!
3. Glad I hunted mine down before this hype! Getting a fraction of the cost with swag was a good move on my part, haha.

Whereas I don't think this game will ever reach the catastrophic levels it did here. I don't expect these to get cheaper than the 10 grand mark for a bit. But eventually will die down as the NES collectors "die off". We can argue ITS A GRAIL/TROPHY/NINTENDO HISTORY all we want but sooner or later the younger generations will stop caring (like a collectibles) and boom, crash, bang... There goes the value
4. For above reason I considered tossing mine up, but in the end I love collecting and being young will be able to cherish this for a long while

It will get cheaper as NES collectors die off?
Um that is us. Not saying I agree it will but who cares what happens after we die?

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:20:02 PM 
BeaglePuss (37)

(Matt Nolan)
< Bowser >
Massachusetts

When you are talking about silly-money, I think the chance of regretting not cashing in might outweigh the joy of sitll having it down the line, but to each his own.

Oh trust me it's a struggle! Though Mark didn't disclose exact amount paid, if it is CLOSE to that $17,500 number; that is why this is so hard. I just worked so hard to find/get it! I mean I (and plenty of others here) have had our I FOUND A LITTLE SAMSON FOR $1! moments, but kept and didn't cash in. Some did. But then I suppose you could argue the difference between a $500 profit and a $10,000 profit. All very difficult I am a NES gamer and collector and will be for foreseeable future. I consider NWC the height of NES collecting and to give it up is tough. Wish I wasn't attached to material things. Not sure how Mark and Matt let so much go... outside of the cash

The best offer was not used. The game sold for the asking price. There's no secret as to what it sold for.

Mark and I still have a complete loose, licensed NES collection.  Now we have a complete collection and an additional $17,500. You'd have to be out of your mind not to make the deal we just did.  

We're still in the game for sure. We just took advantage of the market at the moment. 

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:24:10 PM 
pats1717 (773)

< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

We just took advantage of the market at the moment. 

Exactly! No better time to do it!

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:25:11 PM 
BossK (47)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
Yeah, 17500 could just about pay off my student loans now, and I'd def give up an NWC for that.

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:30:59 PM 
jonebone (392)

(N64 Fanatic)
< Bonk >
Maryland

Oh trust me it's a struggle! Though Mark didn't disclose exact amount paid, if it is CLOSE to that $17,500 number; that is why this is so hard. I just worked so hard to find/get it! I mean I (and plenty of others here) have had our I FOUND A LITTLE SAMSON FOR $1! moments, but kept and didn't cash in. Some did. But then I suppose you could argue the difference between a $500 profit and a $10,000 profit. All very difficult I am a NES gamer and collector and will be for foreseeable future. I consider NWC the height of NES collecting and to give it up is tough. Wish I wasn't attached to material things. Not sure how Mark and Matt let so much go... outside of the cash

The best offer was not used. The game sold for the asking price. There's no secret as to what it sold for.

Mark and I still have a complete loose, licensed NES collection.  Now we have a complete collection and an additional $17,500. You'd have to be out of your mind not to make the deal we just did.  

We're still in the game for sure. We just took advantage of the market at the moment. 

What if the next one at auction hits $25k, $30k or some other Earth shattering number?  Nothing wrong with taking a guaranteed profit, but the NWC market may get quite volatile in the upcoming months.

That other one at auction could either make you like a genius or a bit trigger happy.  Time can tell.  Just have no regets, not that you would anyway.
Now Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition
Recent Beats: Zombie Driver, Crimson Dragon, Hyrule Warriors, Fallout 3, Titanfall

WTB Mint Sealed and Complete Nintendo Games, Any Platform or Handheld!  PM me!

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:31:00 PM 
icarwngs55 (33)

(Michael D)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: buyatari2

I have watched from afar as this epic absurdity took place. Couple things:
1. Poor Muresan; he should have been dealt a better hand
2. Glad Mark was able to cash in.congrats buddy!
3. Glad I hunted mine down before this hype! Getting a fraction of the cost with swag was a good move on my part, haha.

Whereas I don't think this game will ever reach the catastrophic levels it did here. I don't expect these to get cheaper than the 10 grand mark for a bit. But eventually will die down as the NES collectors "die off". We can argue ITS A GRAIL/TROPHY/NINTENDO HISTORY all we want but sooner or later the younger generations will stop caring (like a collectibles) and boom, crash, bang... There goes the value

It will get cheaper as NES collectors die off?
Um that is us. Not saying I agree it will but who cares what happens after we die?

Was in quotes to express figuratively, like become less in number or get out of the game (no pun intended). I suppose it could mean literally die as well, but not what I meant. I'm with you, when I'm gone I could not care less what happens to my stuff (obviously), hope someone profits from it all.

I am nearing the end of my complete licensed set as well (even Unlicensed); still struggling with IF I (not opening that can of worms) consider the NWC part of full set.

Matt, you might be right... Because I think I might be crazy for not selling at height/hype of market. I would appreciate any insight or counseling.

Current thought running through head: "what if I want it back and never find another?! "

Mark might relate with Outback Joey? ?

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:39:47 PM 
BeaglePuss (37)

(Matt Nolan)
< Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: jonebone

What if the next one at auction hits $25k, $30k or some other Earth shattering number?  Nothing wrong with taking a guaranteed profit, but the NWC market may get quite volatile in the upcoming months.

That other one at auction could either make you like a genius or a bit trigger happy.  Time can tell.  Just have no regets, not that you would anyway.

That's an excellent point, and one that Mark and I have talked a great deal about lately.  Here's how I can justify it (or at least try to):

Mark and I are saving for an additional duplex. We need to put about $100K down to make it worth our while. Rent per unit around these parts is approximately $2,000 a month.  If we purchase a duplex like our own, we would potentially be able to pay it off in 10-15 years, and from there collect $4,000 a month from the combined units. While the cart may go through the roof in the future, I can justify selling it now for shorter cash as it will help me earn an additional $50,000 a year through a rental property, not to mention the $500K+ the property will be worth paid off.  The loss I'll have suffered will be shrug-able in grand scheme of things.

I know that seems like a lot of what-ifs, but it's a plan that's been in place for awhile now and is close to becoming a reality. We're extremely close to that $100K savings point, and I was actually looking at open houses today when Mark told me that the cart had been sold.  I would be unfased if the next sale was $50K honestly. Good for them.  And, well, good for me.  

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:40:43 PM 
MAIL_BAG (67)

(Rip )
< Lolo Lord >
Virginia
I'd def sell too! Good job Nolans!

NES Collection: Complete (except Stadium Events and The Panesians).
Nintendo World Championship acquired! The journey continues!
Listen to N.A.R.C. Podcast on Podomatic and iTunes!

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:40:52 PM 
Elijah (161)

(John (JD) Heins)
< Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Yeah, I'm with Jonebone, what if the new price is even higher?

You may not get another one, as long as you can live with that then kudos to you!

So there is a risk to "cashing in" so to speak.
Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:41:26 PM 

coffeewithmrsaturn (255)

(Chris )
< King Solomon >
California

Was in quotes to express figuratively, like become less in number or get out of the game (no pun intended). I suppose it could mean literally die as well, but not what I meant. I'm with you, when I'm gone I could not care less what happens to my stuff (obviously), hope someone profits from it all. I am nearing the end of my complete licensed set as well (even Unlicensed); still struggling with IF I (not opening that can of worms) consider the NWC part of full set. Matt, you might be right... Because I think I might be crazy for not selling at height/hype of market. I would appreciate any insight or counseling. Current thought running through head: "what if I want it back and never find another?! " Mark might relate with Outback Joey? ?

You could always list it high with best offer, 50,000 obo, and just see what happens.  Then you at least know what numbers you're passing on and have the option of getting something too good to pass up.  Who knows, you might even get a legit buyer paying more than the one the Nolans just sold.  Not that you're looking for suggestions, but figured I'd chime in.

The truth is out there.

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:41:29 PM 
MrMark0673 (360)

(Mark Nolan)
< Bowser >
Massachusetts
I sold Outback Joey when I gave up on Genny stuff. Would be cool to have, but the money was cooler.

Jone: We went fast nickels over slow dimes. If the next one sells for a ton more, we still did extremely well. Happened when we sold F2. We made thousands, Vito sold it to Omar for what I can only assume was an ungodly amount. Either way, we made the money that we were happy with.

Photobucket

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:43:42 PM 
MrMark0673 (360)

(Mark Nolan)
< Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: JD

You may not get another one, as long as you can live with that then kudos to you!

The "risk" is that we may "only" have made a five figure profit on the sale.

Photobucket

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:46:12 PM 
arch_8ngel (54)

(Nathan ?)
< Pit >
Virginia

Originally posted by: JD

The "risk" is that we may "only" have made a five figure profit on the sale.

Yeah, selling at a substantial profit is not a risk.  

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:51:13 PM 
jonebone (392)

(N64 Fanatic)
< Bonk >
Maryland
I'm sure you guys know what you're doing, just offering an alternate perspective that is all.

I always told myself I may want to buy an NWC one day, but now face the reality of possibly not wanting to pay the ask price. I can relate though, I also plan to buy another house in the next 5 years and would love to pad my savings account. Sometimes you gotta sell if the price is right.
Now Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition
Recent Beats: Zombie Driver, Crimson Dragon, Hyrule Warriors, Fallout 3, Titanfall

WTB Mint Sealed and Complete Nintendo Games, Any Platform or Handheld!  PM me!

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:52:35 PM 
pats1717 (773)

< Wiz's Mom >
United States

fast nickels over slow dimes.

Preach on Mark!

I'd rather make a 10 grand profit now than worry about what it could go to for a price. It has just a good of chance going backwards

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:52:48 PM 
Foochie776 (86)

(Obi Wan Kenobi)
< Kraid Killer >
Minnesota

Originally posted by: Beliskner

wow let's just hope the transaction actually goes through

No need to hope

Congrats Nolan's! Perfect timing.
Trying to beat as many nes games as I can! 11/662

Currently playing: Bonk's Adventure

Looking to buy ex rental nes games . . Prefer carts with stickers on cartridges/labels!

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:54:48 PM 

Prime2099 (10)

(Matt C.)
< Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Jig

Originally posted by: Tulpa

This whole to-do made Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_World_Championship#201...

Someone should update that wiki to add that it did not SELL. The highest bidder did not pay.

Just took care of it.

What i am currently looking for!

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 06:55:35 PM 
MrMark0673 (360)

(Mark Nolan)
< Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: jonebone

I'm sure you guys know what you're doing, just offering an alternate perspective that is all.

I always told myself I may want to buy an NWC one day, but now face the reality of possibly not wanting to pay the ask price. I can relate though, I also plan to buy another house in the next 5 years and would love to pad my savings account. Sometimes you gotta sell if the price is right.

Oh, I totally hear you.  If the next sells for $50k, many are going to look at us like fools.  it's a very valid perspective and when it comes to markets and money, I definitely value your opinion.

Truth be told, I never really wanted the cart.  Even after buying it, I made jokes about it still not being a part of the set (and still don't think it is!).  We really only bought it because it was both local and cheap.

Great move on the second house.  Matt and I do fine as teachers and we doubled the size of the gym this year, but real estate is where we plan to retire.  Very strong market around here and I wouldn't mind being a landlord

Photobucket

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:05:39 PM 
Bronty (59)

(Dan M)
< Wiz's Mom >
Canada
Same here, I had a gold briefly and couldn't sell it quick enough.

Now I am trying to follow what happened here on your cart without reading this entire muresan gong show. Did you guys just list and sell your Nwc for 17500?

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 01/26/2014 at 07:06 PM by Bronty

Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 07:07:45 PM 
BossK (47)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
Yes they did.

Posts 551 - 575 of 878  

©2014 Bucket Head Media, LLC.. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use