NintendoAge Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join
Login

Posts 1 - 25 of 30  

Forum » Collector's Corner » Can a LED TV play SNES games?

Can a LED TV play SNES games?

Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 04:26:15 AM 
majax79 (0)
(Michael C.)
< Little Mac >
Washington
I was looking at buying this 40" LED TV and was just wondering if or how SNES games appear on LED TVs?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN4...

-------------------------

Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 08:41:42 AM 
Mario's Right Nut (346)

(Harbinger 2)
< Bowser >
Texas
Super Mario World works fine on my 50" LG.

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 08:45:01 AM 
badinsults (0)
(Evan Gowan)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Australia
It really depends on the upscaling ability of the TV. I had a LCD tv, and SNES games looked like crap because the upscaling was not very good.
 "In the end, though, it is all just stuff. Stuff that ultimately, you do not need."

Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 10:40:16 AM 
arch_8ngel (52)

(Nathan ?)
< Pit >
Virginia
FYI, by "LED" they are referring to the backlighting, not the mechanism for display. Those TV's are just LCD tv's with better backlight mechanisms.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 10:44:43 AM 
ThatNintendoGuy (47)

(Jason B)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
Get a S-Video my man helps a lot

Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 10:55:03 AM 
WolfAlmighty (2)
(Wolfgang Abenteuer)
< El Ripper >
Washington
Originally posted by: badinsults

It really depends on the upscaling ability of the TV. I had a LCD tv, and SNES games looked like crap because the upscaling was not very good.

This.  My old game systems, and even the Wii, looked like crap on my LCD so I had to buy a separate upscaler.  Now they look and play great!

Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 03:06:34 PM 
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
Tanooki (185)

(The Wind Waker)
< Bonk >
Kentucky
The only one that really looked bad to me on any lcd/led I've tried is N64/PS1 era systems, damn terrible. They mud out, get very spotty and grainy, it's a mix of just ugly.

NES and SNES though they just look sharp, very sharp, because the screens are a higher quality than old tube tvs so the softness is gone. I have a 48" Samsung LED TV and it works fine.

Friday, October 07, 2011 - 06:23:13 AM 
majax79 (0)
(Michael C.)
< Little Mac >
Washington
Hm,

Thinking about this one. I don't really know any of the technical stuff about LED back lighting vs LCD, but I figured since I'm upgrading might as well get LED.

Thanks for all the information.

Edited: 10/07/2011 at 06:27 AM by majax79

Friday, October 07, 2011 - 11:35:31 AM 
arch_8ngel (52)

(Nathan ?)
< Pit >
Virginia
Originally posted by: majax79

Hm,

Thinking about this one. I don't really know any of the technical stuff about LED back lighting vs LCD, but I figured since I'm upgrading might as well get LED.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40D6000-40-Inch-1080p-120Hz/...

Thanks for all the information.

The technical difference is basically that they have a distributed grid of LED lights that let them shut of lighting for better blacks and have less splotchy lighting for everything else.

Regular LCDs have light bars around the perimeter that distribute light through a layer of film that sits behind the LCD itself.

Both types of TV are still LCD tv's, for the actual image generation.

Friday, October 07, 2011 - 12:05:18 PM 
Ic3M4n (16)

(I B GONE)
< Meka Chicken >
New York
Well I don't know the specifics, but stuff like zapper guns don't respond to certain tv's and I would assume same goes for the super scope. These are the real compatibility questions you should be asking.

Friday, October 07, 2011 - 12:20:21 PM 
arch_8ngel (52)

(Nathan ?)
< Pit >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Ic3M4n

Well I don't know the specifics, but stuff like zapper guns don't respond to certain tv's and I would assume same goes for the super scope. These are the real compatibility questions you should be asking.

I thought the Super Scope had some kind of TV-side attachment, I never owned one though, so I don't recall from what I saw at a friend's house.

The Zapper definitely only works on CRT televisions, though.

Friday, October 07, 2011 - 12:44:25 PM 
Tanooki (185)

(The Wind Waker)
< Bonk >
Kentucky
It does have a small box with a receiver on the end of it that plugs into the controller port.  It would be interesting to know if this would allow the thing to work on a non CRT TV.

Edited: 10/07/2011 at 12:44 PM by Tanooki

Friday, October 07, 2011 - 01:07:05 PM 
arch_8ngel (52)

(Nathan ?)
< Pit >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Tanooki

It does have a small box with a receiver on the end of it that plugs into the controller port.  It would be interesting to know if this would allow the thing to work on a non CRT TV.

Yeah, that's the dongle I'm talking about.

I know it's a remote receiver for the actual "controller" of the Super Scope, but I thought it also plugged into the AV out, or something weird like that.

Friday, October 07, 2011 - 01:08:52 PM 
vern77777 (34)

(8==o------ (.)(.))
< Kraid Killer >
Illinois
Got a 47' Vizio and it works perfectly.
 Looking for test carts...

Friday, October 07, 2011 - 09:26:04 PM 
ocdgamer (110)

(Kody K)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
The dongle on the Super Scope plugs into the controller port and is for the wireless function. A super scope def doesn't work on LED. I think retro games look fine on modern TV's and in my experience have never been skewed/grainy. Always keep that spare tube TV though so you can rock the light gun!
I have lots of SNES & NES reproductions for sale! >> Nintendoage Thread >> My new website!!

Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 06:58:06 AM 
majax79 (0)
(Michael C.)
< Little Mac >
Washington
Ok, sorry to bump but I've actually got the money now.

I'm thinking of not getting an LED because of all the ghosting and problems I hear about them. Plus, an LCD is a little more in my budget. I'm looking to get this Samsung 40" TV. Anyone have any experience with it? I'm more of an SNES player than NES though.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN4...

Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 07:12:13 AM 
Pale Horse (42)

(Shaun )
< El Ripper >
Michigan
Yes

Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 07:45:15 AM 
dra600n (228)

(Wayne Static)
< Master Higgins >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Yeah, that's the dongle I'm talking about.

I know it's a remote receiver for the actual "controller" of the Super Scope, but I thought it also plugged into the AV out, or something weird like that.

I believe it still works on the same principle of the NES Zapper. It won't work on a non-crt tv. I've tried it on my 65", as well as the Saturn's guns, and neither work

Originally sent by: MrWunderful

I feel like the ugly chick that got invited to the prom by the super hot jock dra600n

Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 07:51:04 AM 
rfowler30 (8)

(ryan fowler)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
my n64 plays great, looks even better on my led tv than a standard tv, greens are exceptionally vibrant as well as other colors, but mostly greens. the n64 uses the same a/v cable as the snes i believe, correct me if im wrong. i would HIGHLY recommend an led tv for new game systems as well as older systems as well.

decided wont put up whole collection due too much time consuming shooting a video of my collection on youtube.com, however i will post up a bulletin on here of all my zelda and rareware stuff. 

Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 08:02:05 AM 
dra600n (228)

(Wayne Static)
< Master Higgins >
Connecticut
SNES, N64, and GC use the same RCA cables, yes.

Originally sent by: MrWunderful

I feel like the ugly chick that got invited to the prom by the super hot jock dra600n

Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 01:43:09 PM 
Tanooki (185)

(The Wind Waker)
< Bonk >
Kentucky
I know nothing of ghosting on an LED tv, but I will say if you stick to the LCD it just won't be as bright, evenly lit, and maybe due to a mix of the two as generally sharp. Whatever you think is best though, it's your money, but I've got one of each TV and the LED looks better.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 02:00:27 PM 
Abelardo (63)

(Abelardo González)
< Meka Chicken >
Mexico
Any upscaler recommendations? SNES games look too blocky on my TV, I've found that the SNES and NES emulators for the Wii have built in video filters that help with this issue (and also correct the aspect ratio) but no solution for the SNES itself
Visit my FS/FT thread:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 08:46:57 PM 
majax79 (0)
(Michael C.)
< Little Mac >
Washington

I know nothing of ghosting on an LED tv, but I will say if you stick to the LCD it just won't be as bright, evenly lit, and maybe due to a mix of the two as generally sharp. Whatever you think is best though, it's your money, but I've got one of each TV and the LED looks better.

Thanks for the advice. I know that at 40" I'm going to get edge lit LED TV if I go that route and some people complain about uniformity issues, bleeding through, and seeing lights on the sides or corners of the screen.

Edited: 12/29/2011 at 08:50 PM by majax79

Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 11:19:42 PM 
Tanooki (185)

(The Wind Waker)
< Bonk >
Kentucky
Here's more advice, not sure on your budget.

This is what I got last July, Fry's had a silent sale on it in their store location and it was $1000 down from $1500.

Amazon has it on sale right now for $956 when you add it to the cart. This works fantastic for me with even coloring, I don't get any form of input lag with visuals in any game I've tried so far, runs natively in a 120hz mode which is a good help on that. Coloring and darkness are even, audio is freaking amazing for the setup it has though you can easily ramp it to an external set. It has a lot of jacks. The only downer to me is there's no dedicated RCA jack, it's shared so I have to pull out the RGB plugs. It's not a perfect solution, none of these sets will make an old system look totally fantastic, short of an external processing device or using an emulator and ramping the game through a modern system or a laptop via the HDMI port. The times I have used it, it just softened up the visuals enough it was like playing them more in their natural environment of the days which is a good thing to me.

Friday, December 30, 2011 - 06:21:59 AM 
majax79 (0)
(Michael C.)
< Little Mac >
Washington

Here's more advice, not sure on your budget.

This is what I got last July, Fry's had a silent sale on it in their store location and it was $1000 down from $1500.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46D6300-46-Inch-1080p-Black/...

Amazon has it on sale right now for $956 when you add it to the cart. This works fantastic for me with even coloring, I don't get any form of input lag with visuals in any game I've tried so far, runs natively in a 120hz mode which is a good help on that. Coloring and darkness are even, audio is freaking amazing for the setup it has though you can easily ramp it to an external set. It has a lot of jacks. The only downer to me is there's no dedicated RCA jack, it's shared so I have to pull out the RGB plugs. It's not a perfect solution, none of these sets will make an old system look totally fantastic, short of an external processing device or using an emulator and ramping the game through a modern system or a laptop via the HDMI port. The times I have used it, it just softened up the visuals enough it was like playing them more in their natural environment of the days which is a good thing to me.

Thanks, but I can't get any larger than a 40" TV because I'm going to be only 4 ft away from it. Otherwise, I would love to buy a 46". They seem to be better quality than the smaller models. I don't have a budget for the TV really. Less than a grand would be ideal, especially for a 40".

Posts 1 - 25 of 30  

©2014 Bucket Head Media, LLC.. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use