NintendoAge Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join
Login

Posts 1 - 25 of 166  

Forum » Collector's Corner » Final Fantasy 1+2 Famicom CIB Translatio...

Final Fantasy 1+2 Famicom CIB Translation Project

Updated: 01/12/13

Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 02:12:26 AM 
Segertar (123)

(T. F.)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
PUT ON HOLD INDEFINITELY

As with the Final Fantasy III manual I will be translating Final Fantasy 1+2 for the Famicom. The purpose is to have a CIB copy in english for my collection. This will be exspecially hard due to the amount of materials that came with this game; box, cart, manual, inserts, map, and a huge guide. I doubt I will be having the guide translated. That would be to much work/money.

Only 10 will be produced. Those will be made available to NA members. I am not excepting preorders. I do not know how much these will cost, but I do know that they will not be cheap; due the the labor and materials involved.

Here I will lay out the progress of the project. This does take quite a bit of time so I may not have any updates for awhile. Thought some might enjoy leanring about the amount of work that goes into something like this.

I plan on working with shindo7 (translation), and vladictivio (art), and JJAAMMEESSNNEESS (printing) for this project. You have been volunteered!

For those who have not heard of this game: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_I-II

Update: 01/12/13:
Received 11 fami adapters, got the chips ready, and 11 smb/dh set to the side (shells). I ready to start soldering! Just waiting for the FF 1+2 carts. Manual is still going good. Took a short break to make the Mario Monroe print for my buddy James, but back to work today.

If anyone was curious why I was making 11 (even though I said 10), one is for the test cart.

That's all for today. Thanks for all the support!

Update: 01/05/13:
Holy crap an update! Manual is in progress. Learning as I go. Here is a before and after of pages 2 and 3. The rest of the pages aren't so boring. It's still a work in progess. Any errors will be fixed before print.

BEFORE:
Photobucket

AFTER
:
Photobucket
Update: 12/14/12:
Vlad should be finished with the semister and back to work! I am working on editing the translated manual. Tough to work out the engrish. I am also playing with fonts. I want to match the original Japanese as closely as I can. I want to get a sample page up asap.

Update: 12/03/12:
Sorry for the lack of updates guys. I don't really have much to tell. I have the boxes, labels, and maps printed (stored in a box).

The manual has been translated (digitally). Vlad hasn't been in touch with any updates with regards to the manual graphics. He is in school, has a job, etc. I understand... I'll shoot him another email. Maybe we can get this going.

Basically all we need to do with the maunal is complete the manual graphics (~50% complete), insert the translated text, and print.

After that, I would need to get a few copies of FF 1+2 (famicom) and burn/transplant the chips (as well as alter the board to fit a NES cart.

I hope I can get this moving forward again. Wish me luck!

Update: 08/20/12:
Not to much of an update, but things are going smoothly. About 50% done with the manual.

Update: 08/09/12:
Got a package in today. It was filled with goodies.

Thanks James for everything. He did a terrific job in making these very professional looking. He even threw in a Bog Box edition! Awesome stuff!

Manual is getting there. Still a lot of work to be done.

Update: 07/30/12:
Moving along nicely. The manual is about 25-30% complete. Vladi and shindo7 are doing great. James is doing a fantastic job with the printing (the map is beautiful!). I am looking into trying the broken rom on real hardware. A longshot, but it might work.

Update: 07/27/12:
Well, looks like the rom broken. If you care to read why: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/nes/patches/138readme...

Still going forward with the project. It's already paid for so.. what the hell? Obviously won't include a working game (or any board what-so-ever).

Box, map, manual, and empty cart.. Oh well, it was looking pretty dire on the board anyway. I guess it'll be just that much cheaper. Good thing I didn't make a hundred of these. lol

Thanks theclaw for pointing out the issue. I'm glad I didn't pay for the actual game yet.

Project is still going forward!

Update: 07/21/12:

A little something to wet your whistle.

Photobucket

Update: 07/18/12:
Box, double-sided map, and cart label are all complete! In the process of getting them all printed. Vladi did an amazing job with everything. I'm very impressed with his work. You can see a 3D render of the box a few posts down. The manual is still being translated, editted, and compiled. This will take a little bit more time. It's a big job (60 pages). I'd rather have it done right, and take a little longer than rush through everything. Thanks to all those who have expressed interest in helping out with this project. I really appriciate it.

Update: 07/15/12:
Project is back on track. People are back from vacation and back to work! Big congrats to shindo7 on his engagement. Good luck, bro.. you're gonna need it.   Box and label are pretty much finished, the map is ~50% done, and the manual still being translated. Everything is looking really nice. As for the cart, I am a lil worried about materials being available. retrousb still out of stock, and they don't know when they will be getting more boards in. I don't plan on tearing up rare DW carts, so really my only other choice is to wait it out. I guess there is a reason that this one hasn't been repro'd before. lol Well, onward and upward. I have faith that it will work itself out.

Here is a sample of the working being done: Box, Cart Label, Map (it's going to be double sided). Thanks Vladi for posting these.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Update: 07/04/12:
Just got the initial box art work from vladictivio, and it looks awesome. I don't want to ruin any suprises (so I won't be posting the box), but if you like Final Fantasy (old school); you'll love what he has done! (07/15/12: I've clearly decided to post a little something.. lol) That is all for now. Happy 4th everyone!

Update: 07/02/12:
Received the game today. Sending scans to the appropriate people soon. Here is a picture of the famicom set. Manual is 62 pages,and tiny. Probably will be doing a standard size NES manual with 62 pages. The guide is much to big (82 pages) for me to consider with the reproduction. Might be translated at a later time.. who knows.

Photobucket

Update: 07/01/12
Planning a very limited CIB release (probably 10). I'm thinking cart, manual, box, and double sided map. In talks with a couple people for production, and costs. Vladictivio has began gathering his thoughts for the box art. Still waiting for my famicom CIB order... I hate waiting. I want to start working on this now! lol

Update: 06/28/12
I purchased FF1-2 CIB (Famicom) on eBay recently ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/310407952157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:I...   and it is being shipping from Japan. I should expect it within a few weeks. I also have been in contact with a few reproduction sites to see how much it would cost to get a copy made (I have the translated rom already).

Apparently this particular game uses a rarer board. I have been told that only Dragon Warrior 3/4 use this board. Almost shut me down right there...

After a quick search on retrousb.com I found the board I was looking for: http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&produc... . They even have a picture of a completed FF1-2 board at the bottom of the page! Must be a sign. Unfortunately it's out of stock. I'm waiting for a response to see when/if they will be getting them back in.

After I found the board I contacted the repro makers to see wait the could do.. waiting for a response.
-------------------------

Final Fantasy III (nes) Translated Manual DL Free

Final Fantasy 1+2 Translation Project Progress

Edited: 12/29/2013 at 04:03 AM by Segertar

Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 02:15:57 AM 
Alder (42)

(Tom B.)
< King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I am very interested in this stuff. Almost to the point of wanting to learn Japanese to translate for myself

Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 02:27:20 AM 
themaxvoltage (37)

(Max R)
< El Ripper >
California
I am quite interested in this. Any way I can help?

Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 02:45:11 AM 
Segertar (123)

(T. F.)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: Alder

I am very interested in this stuff. Almost to the point of wanting to learn Japanese to translate for myself

I'm sure it will be made available to the public once complete.

As you may know, I spent a lot of time with the FFIIIj translation (see signature link). I would like to offer this one free with donation optional, but donations weren't quite what I had expected (total donation: 1). So I will probably have to sell this one. Time = money, ya know?

Edited: 06/28/2012 at 02:48 AM by Segertar

Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 02:47:24 AM 
vladictivo (80)

(Vladi )
< El Ripper >
Mexico
Glad to read the announcement, that was quick!
Big big FF fan here and it will be a pleasure to work on this project.
My idea is to make the manual NES sized (102.5 x 134 mm) but keeping the Japanese vertical style. I've been working on a personal version of the FFIII manual using the one released by Segertar a few days ago and my intention is to keep that style on this FF I-II project. Here are a few pics so you can get the idea:

Keeping it custom: 
vladictivo.deviantart.com

Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 02:52:21 AM 
Segertar (123)

(T. F.)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Vladictivo, I was gonna PM! I swear! lol

I really like what you have done there! The initial thought behind the FFIII manual was to keep it as faithful to the original as possible. But you have definately brought it to a whole nother level.

Terrific work. Seriously, you are an artist.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 02:53:55 AM 
Segertar (123)

(T. F.)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: themaxvoltage

I am quite interested in this. Any way I can help?

Thanks for the offer. I like to see that people are interested in the project.

Kinda a waiting game right now, but I'll let you know if I need something.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 03:48:01 AM 
gwyndion (288)

(Cookie Monster)
< King Solomon >
California
I can't wait to see the finished result!

On another note, the FF3 manuals are a go!!!! We are getting 10 made for the community (one of course going to segertar as donation).

Looks like it's going to be a Final Fantasy end of June :-)

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 03:50:36 AM 
Segertar (123)

(T. F.)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: gwyndion

I can't wait to see the finished result!

On another note, the FF3 manuals are a go!!!! We are getting 10 made for the community (one of course going to segertar as donation).

Looks like it's going to be a Final Fantasy end of June :-)

Sweet! Thanks dude! Can't wait to see on paper. Lemme know when you need my address.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 11:22:38 AM 
thesubcon3 (104)

(Jeffrey Wittenhagen)
< King Solomon >
Indiana
I would love to get a manual of final fantasy 3!

Games I still need...PM me if you got 'em
NES Homebrew - T*Gun, 8-Bit Xmas 08-10, Bust a Nut, Slappin Bitches

Order a Copy of My Gaming Book, Now 40% Off!
Hidden Treasures: Rare & Unappreciated Gems

Check Out My Gaming Blog
http://www.hagensalley.wordpress....

Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 04:48:23 PM 
Segertar (123)

(T. F.)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: thesubcon3

I would love to get a manual of final fantasy 3!

Check out the link in my signature, or PM gwyndion he is going to be making a few.

Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 05:51:15 AM 
Segertar (123)

(T. F.)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Update 07/01/12 bump.

Monday, July 02, 2012 - 09:11:08 PM 
Segertar (123)

(T. F.)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Updated with picture. 7/2/12

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 01:01:57 AM 
themaxvoltage (37)

(Max R)
< El Ripper >
California
That was some quick shipping from Japan! Just seeing the original is getting me excited! Again, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help with the production!

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 01:01:59 AM 
themaxvoltage (37)

(Max R)
< El Ripper >
California
D'oh double post.

Edited: 07/03/2012 at 01:02 AM by themaxvoltage

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 01:17:10 AM 
Segertar (123)

(T. F.)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: themaxvoltage

That was some quick shipping from Japan! Just seeing the original is getting me excited! Again, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help with the production!

Yeah, crazy fast shipping. I wasn;t expecting this for another 10 days, at the earliest.

Thanks agian for your offer to help. I'll keep you in mind if there is anything I need.

On a side note; If you are a Final Fantasy collector this is a very nice set to have. Really looks great in person.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 01:27:53 PM 
Segertar (123)

(T. F.)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Happy 4th of July! (bump)

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 01:59:21 PM 
vladictivo (80)

(Vladi )
< El Ripper >
Mexico
I was thinking if there's a chance of adding the Nintendo Age logo on the back of the box to give credit to this awesome forum. If the answer is yes, who should we ask for permission?

Keeping it custom: 

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 03:39:11 PM 
Segertar (123)

(T. F.)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: vladictivo

I was thinking if there's a chance of adding the Nintendo Age logo on the back of the box to give credit to this awesome forum. If the answer is yes, who should we ask for permission?

I think that's a great idea! Made by the community, for the community.

Contact Dain, or one of the mods. I don't see this being a problem.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 01:37:47 AM 
mb7241 (182)

(Matt B.)
< Bowser >
Tennessee
I'd definitely be interested in a CIB of this when it becomes available. I would offer to help with translating the guide, except I'm still not proficient enough at Japanese to attempt such a project... However, if there's any other way I can help (beta-testing the translated ROMs, etc.), I'd be more than happy to do so.

http://blastedmachines.com... ...proud defenders of the video game collecting community.  We don't believe in hype, high prices, and predatory business methods...just the best games at the best prices with the most friendly service.  Located at 2173 APD 40, Cleveland, TN and open 7 days a week...stop in and see us sometime.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 02:02:38 AM 
Segertar (123)

(T. F.)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: mb7241

I'd definitely be interested in a CIB of this when it becomes available. I would offer to help with translating the guide, except I'm still not proficient enough at Japanese to attempt such a project... However, if there's any other way I can help (beta-testing the translated ROMs, etc.), I'd be more than happy to do so.

Thanks for the offer to help out. I think I have my bases covered with everything so far. If I need anything I'll send a PM.

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 04:46:05 AM 
Segertar (123)

(T. F.)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Update: 7/15/12

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 05:41:38 PM 
vladictivo (80)

(Vladi )
< El Ripper >
Mexico
Here are a few previews:
Box:

Label

FFI map:

Keeping it custom: 

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 05:47:10 PM 
Segertar (123)

(T. F.)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Thanks for posting those bro. Looks so delicious..

Great work on cleaning up those creases on the map. I wish I had your skills.

Edited: 07/15/2012 at 05:48 PM by Segertar

Monday, July 16, 2012 - 03:14:35 PM 
Shookie (4)
(Johan R.)
< Crack Trooper >
Norway
I could also chip in to help with this. Quality check and other stuff related. Feel free to drop by a PM if needed, mr. Always glad to be of help where I can be.
A classic old-school retro vintage gamer..

Collecting PAL CIB NES and SNES-games that got a connection to me from the good ol' days!

Posts 1 - 25 of 166  

©2014 Bucket Head Media, LLC.. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use