I have a dream for a project FAR bigger than anything I have done, but that project is not yet public (unless you happen to be in chat at the correct time). Right now I mostly need development time so I have some business changes for this year:
* I increasingly see repros as something that people with no engineering knowledge or skills do only to make money, and it adds nothing new to the community. I won't bring up specific examples or it will only look like insults. Additionally more people care about low cost than new parts but I guess that should be expected. Maybe I am just an old man now, get off my lawn. To get more time to work on my dream project I will be shifting away from repros for both NES and SNES. Any repros out of stock now are not likely to return, and most other repros will disappear as I run out of parts. Homebrews and flash carts will not be affected. Yes I have accepted this means a pay cut for the year!
* My venture into SNES repros was interesting but not something I actually care about which is why I never expanded to more games. I only collect for NES so my future projects will be more NES focused. Hopefully people will recognize I actually care about the system and buy from me instead of some cheapo chinese guy who gets the A and B buttons backwards. Again dropping future SNES products will be a pay cut but I simply have no nostalgia for the system. Also means I have no plans for anything Sega.
* Hopefully I will also be shifting from a BTO to an in stock system. As you may have seen from posts on NA, people can't read. Answering the same questions already answered on the website is a big waste of time and having everything ready immediately should slightly help that. The down side will be items going temporarily available more often, especially in the first few months as I build up the stock. Inventory management is not something I am good at...
Before doing the dream project I need to finish some others:
* You may have heard about Scoreboard, which recently started development again. We started in 2009 so its about time to get everything done! Mostly right now the work is figuring out how to sell it, and how much should be redesigned for future devices. WIth multiple people doing different sections the project frequently gets put on the back burner.
* The rumors of HDMI NES are also true, and other than debugging and compatibility fixes has been finished for a few months. Samsung hates me right now! This board solders to the existing PPU for a 100% digital video path. Because it is all digital 480p it cannot get any of the analog garbage like jailbars or jaggies. Going back to composite is painful now! Did anyone figure out I was one of the top loader hoarders? Chinese New Year will likely get in the way so completed systems should be for sale around April.
* Scoreboard will also be integrated into the next NES PowerPak, also probably delayed by Chinese New Year. The last time I started to redesign the PowerPak it turned into the SNES version, but my current board is even better than that plan was. With other NES flash carts in development I believe mine will have unique features, and it should work on crappy clones. Again NES is the system I care about instead of just another product to throw out. Yes this might be an Osborne moment...
After all that I get to do my dream project which will take at least a full year. It will either be amazing or I will be bankrupt and have to shut down everything!